Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sounds fishy?!


Growing up with two brothers, wrestling was an avid entertainment watch in our household. I remember knowing every single wrestler of the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) organization. One wrestler that I especially liked was Chris Benoit because of his straight, unambiguous and modest personality. Having said that when I came across the double-murder suicide news about him I was extremely shocked!


The whole news was highly appalling to say the least especially due to my initial impression of Benoit. The shock was not limited to that extent as the news in length was even more wary and disjointed. 

The thing that really grabbed my attention was the appearance of a Wikipedia post stating the death of Benoit's wife before the bodies were actually discovered. Not only did it appear before the discovery, it appeared an alarming 14 hours before the police found the victim's body. 

The whole appearance of such a post brought even more distress to the investigation as the police were now faced with disarray for a new piece of disjointed information. After due investigation, someone came out with a confession on Wikinews. The anonymous individual stated that his post was made out of pure coincidence. His confession allowed police to let him go as the police had no other grounds to hold him.

The major problem is probably the concept of Wikipedia and how people are influencing it. The ability for everyone in any part of the world to distort and change information on a website subjects to trouble. The fact that an issue such as this can occur allows possibilities for more in the future. So, what is our solution for it? Do nothing about it because it’s too much effort to deal with it and believe it to be a coincidence. Or, perhaps really evaluate the mishaps of the internet as such occurrences are greatly disturbing.

3 comments:

  1. The inter-net's anonymity is an increasing problem day by day. The ability to post without name and most of the time without being traced is a growing problem. As long as he was telling the truth and it was coincidental, then this is a minor case. However, if it was not then this man is a sick human being who thought anonymity guaranteed him safety.

    This ability to lurk around message boards and chat rooms has caused many problems. Their ability to hide their faces and be completely hateful towards people is a disgusting habit that causes problems from minor to sometimes "the only alternative" suicide. Hopefully the issue will lighten up soon, and the sick true personalities of the hateful people will arise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that we should definitely do something to fix this problem. Giving the ability to everyone in the world to write something about any subject is from an innocent viewpoint, a good thing. But it can be a very big problem. One time I actually had to print out my information for some topic that I was researching, and one of my sources was Wikipedia. So I turned them in with no problem, thinking I had good sources, but I must have skipped a part of it. Because when I got them back from my teacher, she had highlighted my Wikipedia printout, and when I read the highlighted part, all I could say was "oops". Something that had nothing to do with my topic and was also written in a very disrespectful manner was part of my article. It is a good thing that Wikipedia is now at least monitoring their articles to check that these type of disturbances dont happen, but something else should be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is just sad to believe that one's personal information can be released in a matter of seconds through the internet. I just want to inquire on how as individuals we can protect ourselves from such implications?
    As of now, I don't know the answer to how one can fully protect themselves for the internet's notion.

    ReplyDelete